Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why Do People Play This Way?

Sometimes I really don’t understand why some people play the way that they do. I’m willing to accept that their play conforms to some standard of logic that I’m just not aware of. But then again, sometimes I just have to wonder.

I was at a $2/$5 no-limit table and was the chip leader after playing really tight and beating the table up with good hands. I was in the small blind with A§5©; not a great hand but good enough for a call. The cutoff called the big blind; I completed; and with the big blind the three of us went to the flop.

The flop hit Q§Qª7©. A complete miss for my hand. I lost interest in it and checked; but then the other two players checked behind me.

The flop put out the 7§. I doubted at this point that either player had either a Queen or a Seven, so I decided to bluff with the (likely) best hand; my Ace kicker, that is. I put out a tiny min-bet of $5. The big blind folded, but the cutoff called.

Here’s where things got funky. The river was the Q¨, putting a Full House – Queens full of Sevens – on the board. So unless I (or my opponent) had either a Queen or a pocket pair of Sevens or higher, we were obviously going to split the pot. At least, I thought it was obvious.

Just to be goofy, I put out a tiny $10 bet. My opponent insta-folded so fast it blew me away. I raked in the $25 pot, completely unable to figure out why he wouldn’t call my post-oak bluff. I guess I should just be happy that there are some players like that out there!

Sort of in spite of myself, I’ve been watching this TV show on the G4 network called “2M2MM” or “Two Months/Two Million”, about a foursome of 20-something poker pals who rent a house in Vegas and try to make $2 Million in two months’ time. Overall, the guys are pretty dorky and nerdy, but it’s fun seeing them goof around while winning (or losing) six figure sums each week.

No comments: