Sunday, June 15, 2008

A Big Hand

This hand came up recently in a cash game, and it played out very oddly so I thought I would write about it.  Share your thoughts on it if you want.

This was a $1/$3 No-Limit table.  My image was a little on the loose side; I’d been playing a lot of hands and winning a few small pots without showing down, and at this point I was the chip leader at the table with around $350.  I posted the small blind and the cards were dealt out.

Everybody folded to a guy in late position who raised it to $10, pretty much the standard raise at this table.  He was the second chip leader with around $300 total.  I had been keeping an eye on him and I had him pegged as a slightly above-average player.  I put him on a mid to high pair, with two high cards unlikely but still possible.

It folded around to me, so it would take $9 to call the bet.  I looked down to see the King of Spades and the King of Diamonds!  Nice … but also the kind of hand that I only want to play against one player at most.  The Big Blind was relatively new to the table and I didn’t have a read on him, so I didn’t know if he’d call the first raise or not, so I decided to re-raise.  I made it $25 to go, slightly more than a min-raise.

I got my wish; the Big Blind folded and Mr. Above Average called the raise, so we went to the flop.

The flop was Ten of Diamonds, Queen of Diamonds, Queen of Hearts.  I really didn’t like this flop, particularly out of position.  Two of the potential hands I put my opponent on included pocket Tens and Ace/Queen, and this flop hit both of those squarely.  And the straight and flush draws were plentiful as well.  But it was also possible that I had the best hand.  If I didn’t bet it, I risked not having any idea where I was in the hand.  I decided to put out a nice bet, a cross between a continuation bet and a value bet, and if it got called then worry.  Out went a scared bet of $30, just less than half the pot.

Mr. AbAv called.  Uh-oh.

The turn brought the Four of Hearts, a brick if there ever was one.  Well, if my hand was good on the flop, it was still good.  But I was really starting to worry about the hand.  I decided to just check and see what my opponent did.

He bet $60, a little over half the size of the pot.

I was more than a little worried now.  Had he been slowplaying a monster on the flop?  But why do that with all the draws on the board?  Was he drawing himself?

Tune in tomorrow for the exciting conclusion to this hand!

No comments: