Thursday, June 26, 2008

T Minus Six Days (And Counting . . .)

Next Wednesday, in the afternoon, I head out to Vegas and the Main Event!
There are four Day Ones (1A, 1B, 1C, 1D) and I want to try to get into either Day 1C or 1D, which is Saturday and Sunday.  There are also two Day Twos (2A and 2B), so playing on a weekend will put me in the 2B cohort, which plays on Wednesday the 9th.  From that point, it's nonstop poker until the 14th.
I've been paying attention to the timings of the other WSOP events that have already taken place this year, and it seems as though they run through until around 2 in the morning or so (!)  I am a little worried about fatigue.  I can stay up until 2am no problem; but five or six days in a row of that might be a bit of a challenge.  So to start preparing for that, I've been staying up until around midnight each night this week, and sleeping in until about 8am or so.  I'm hoping that getting used to this new sleep schedule will make it easier for me.
For the first five nights of my stay, I'm going to be staying at the Plaza Hotel downtown.  It's cheesy and cheap -- sorta like me.  But I do like downtown Vegas for a change of pace, so I'll enjoy that time.  I might play a tournament at Binion's on Thursday afternoon -- they call it the 2nd Annual Binion's Poker Classic, although how anything can be a "classic" after only two years they don't explain.  The other games in that series have pulled in around 200-250 players and paid the top 30 or so; it will be a nice tuneup for the big dance.
On Monday (after Day 1 and before Day 2) I'm going to move from the Plaza to the Rio, where the WSOP tournament is being held.  I think it will be helpful to be able to just head upstairs and crash after the game is done each night rather than try to drive to some other hotel downtown or on the strip at 2am after an exhausting marathon poker session.
I'm really excited about this although I don't have any illusions about winning it or anything silly like that.  It would be nice to finish in the top half; actually finishing in the money is almost too much to hope for.  But basically I'm doing it just for the experience; I guess you could say that playing the WSOP Main Event on my "things you should do before you die" list.
Cinderella's Ball comes to a crashing end on Monday the 14th, when I fly back home and return to my real life.  That day is actually Day 7 of the tournament; the last day before the final table is determined.  If lightning strikes and I'm actually still in it by then, I'll change my flight and stay a day longer, but I can't imagine that happening.
As far as blog updates while I'm out there; well, I should be able to get some reports in up until Day 2 starts.  But after that, let's just say it won't be a priority.  There are, however, live updates on the WSOP website and the CardPlayer magazine website and probably a few others, so if my fans want to see if I even make it into one of the reports they can always check those I suppose.

5 comments:

xstaggerxleex said...

I wish you the best of luck my friend... I am currently having an awesome session at $1/$2 on stars right now... gonna post on graph, won a $238 pot 1st hand... gotta like that...

Steve said...

I have a couple of key hands I've played lately that I'll post over the next few days, proud of the way that I played them.

Where are your graphs coming from? PS or do you have PokerTracker or one of those?

xstaggerxleex said...

I have poker tracker, I am trying the 90 day trial, probably going to get stox poker cause you get all the training vids and u get poker tracker free... so I have heard... yeah its harder for me to post alot of key hands cause I play so many... but with PT I can put a replay of the hand on my blog... I am going to try that today

xstaggerxleex said...

How did you enter? Direct buy or did you qualify?

Steve said...

I saved up for almost two years, put away any bonuses I got and other poker winnings and finally had enough to do it. It will probably be another two years (or more?) before I can afford to do it a second time though.