Sunday, June 1, 2008

This is So Incredibly Sick

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to hang up my deck of cards once and for all.

I’m at a no-limit table and been playing at it for about three or four hours when up comes this hand.  The player under the gun is a really loose goofball who will play any hand that is dealt to him.  To make matters worse (or better, depending on your point of view), he’s been on something of a roll and has built up a pretty decent chip stack.  He’s first to act, and so he just calls the big blind.  Everybody else folds around to me in the small blind, and I look down to see that I have a pretty decent hand – Suited Ace/Queen of Hearts.  I complete the blind; the big blind checks; and the three of us see the flop.

The flop could hardly be better for me – Ace of Clubs, Queen of Spades, Five of Hearts.  I’ve got top two pair on a fairly uncoordinated board.  Since I know Mr. Loose will bet anything, I decide to just check and slowplay my aces-up.  The big blind checks, and sure enough Mr. Loose puts in a pot-sized bet.  I of course smooth call, as does the big blind.

The turn brings the Three of Diamonds.  Not great – the board is starting to straighten.  I check, preparing for a big check-raise this time around.  The big blind puts out a minimum bet – I’m sure he’s on garbage – and Mr. Loose raises the pot.  Sweet!  I reraise all-in, the big blind finally folds, and Mr. Loose calls.  He has me covered, but just barely.  I’m looking forward to a pleasant double-up.

The river is the Four of Clubs, but it wasn’t a straight I needed to worry about.  It was an even less-likely hand – Mr. Loose rolled over a pocket pair of threes for a turned set.  As the pot was being pushed to him he thoughtfully said, “So, how’d you like my min-bet on the flop with nothing?”

Nice, genius.  Showed almost as much skill as hitting your two-outer.

Okay, I feel better now.  Just had to get that out of my system.

(A lot of my friends who read this blog complain that it contains too much poker-speak, and they can’t figure out what I’m actually saying.  I’m sure that this entry will be Exhibit ‘A’.)

1 comment:

xstaggerxleex said...

yeah... ummm... thats a sick suck out for sure... im sick just reading that