Wednesday, June 18, 2008

A Tournament Last Night

I realize that I need more live-tournament experience if I expect to do well at the Main Event.  The once-a-month or so home games at John's house isn't enough for that.
My neighborhood cardroom, Roxy's in White Center, has two tournaments every day.  Last night I went down to their evening game, plunked down my $60, and sat down with 22 other players to see how I would do.
I came in second, for a payday of $385.  Not bad!
There was one key hand very early in the tournament that really made the difference, and I totally played it like a donkey.
Three players limped into the pot, and I was on the button with the Ace/King of Spades, so I limped too, and the four of us saw the flop.
The flop came Ace-Ace-Four, so I had top set with top kicker.  It was checked around to me, and I also checked to slowplay and let somebody else catch up.  I figured that if I bet here, everyone would fold and I would only get a small pot.
The turn was a ten.  Again, it was checked over to me, and I put in a pot-sized bet.  The big blind was next to bet, and he went all-in!  He had the smallest stack at the table, but it was still a big over-bet.  Everybody else folded and it was my decision.
Since it was so early in the game, I didn't really have a read on him, but common sense told me that he had to have an Ace-Ten for a turned full house.  (Maybe Ace-Four for a slowplayed boat, but that seemed less likely.)
I still had top set with top kicker.  Here's where the donkey part comes in.  I called!  I turned over my Ace-King, and just like I knew, he turned over Ace-Ten.
The river brought another King, which was only a 7% possibility, and my opponent was the second player out.  I jumped out to the chip lead, and I stayed above average in chip count all the way into the money (very rare for me I have to admit).

No comments: